Friday, August 28, 2009

Getting Settled In...

I am sorry that I did not write after 1 week of monastic life. Things have been a little busy so you get the 2 week update...

What is keeping me busy? Ora et Labora ("Prayer and Work" - the Benedictine Motto). The regular prayer schedule is: Office of Readings (Vigils) and Morning Prayer at 6:20 AM, Midday Prayer at 12:05 PM, Mass at 5:15 PM, Evening Prayer at 6:45 PM and Compline at 7:30 PM - on most days. The work detail includes chores on Monday through Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings (for about 3 hours on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri, but only for about 1-1.5 hours on Wed & Sat). Work over the past 2 weeks - cutting grass, weed whacking, setting up and taking down for a picnic, kitchen cleaning, stairwell cleaning, picking tomatoes, etc... just whatever needs doing. We also have in house classes every weekday morning.

But it is not all work (& prayer) and no play... we have some recreation time also. We have official recreation time with the community a couple of times a week (Tuesday & Sunday evening), and less formal times everyday.

The novices take a class at our college (Benedictine College). I signed up for Natural Theology. What was I thinking?!? It started last Thursday and is going to be a handful!! The instructor is a great guy (and an excellent [though diligent] teacher by all accounts), but the upper level Philosophy class will take some serious effort from a lazy student who finished his philosophical studies more than 22 years ago! I am also auditing a class on the Synoptic (Matthew, Mark, Luke) Gospels. That one will be very enjoyable. With the start of classes we will have a shortened work schedule on those days (Tuesday & Thursday).

Football season is right around the corner... I am looking forward to seeing our NAIA team compete (we are picked to finish in the middle of our conference standings)... but I will definitely miss my trips to the Plains and the enjoyment of the massive tailgating at Auburn.

Until next time...

God bless you all,
FrD.

4 comments:

  1. We missed you here on the Plains yesterday! The boys looked pretty good out there! I wore my "Chizik Republik" t-shirt! :-)
    God Bless,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whooo-hoooo!! Though I did not see any of the game, the score looked better after the game than it did at halftime. But I missed the tailgating!!

    If you get any FREE t-shirts let me know. Don't spend any actually money because I really already have too many t-shirts anyway!!

    God bless,
    FrD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you decided to do a blog. It is great to see what your life is like on a day to day basis.

    God Bless and take care,
    David G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Father--

    So glad you have a blog. YOu don't seem so...far away. This is a great experience for you. Tuckers are all well.

    Hilary Tucker

    ReplyDelete