Monday, December 7, 2009

And the new names is.... DrummmmRolllllll....

I received my first choice - Father Justin Damien

In my letter to the Abbot I asked for "Justin Damien" and I wrote that though officially (on the record) I would have the double name, I would simply go by “Father Justin” in house.

The names which I requested are in honor of the following saints:

St. Justin (Martyr) РSt. Justin is an apologist and martyr Рboth of which appeal to me (especially as a Southerner). I love his First Apology (from the middle of the 2nd century) with its defense of the Eucharist and expos̩ on the Mass. I was ordained to the priesthood on his feast day (June 1, 1991), which is another reason he is so special to me. Since the first time I started to think about religious life, Justin was the name I desired the most.

St. Damien (of Molokai [Hawaii]) – I have had a devotion to this wonderful, godly priest for years. His selfless service in very difficult circumstances (isolated on an island populated with lepers to the point of contracting leprosy himself) is an inspiration. In commemoration of his recent canonization (October 11, 2009), I am honored to have his name as part of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment