Friday, December 4, 2009

What's in a name?

When I enter the novitiate on Monday evening (Dec 7th), I will receive my Benedictine habit and a new name. They go together. It will be the start of a new life as a Benedictine novice. New clothing covering the old self and a new name to be identified by - both are signs of a transition, a change and a reminder of the constant Christian calling to die to the old self to live a more faithful life in Christ (and in this case to live by the 1500 year old Rule of St. Benedict - one of the vows being conversion to the monastic way of life). There will be some changes in my lifestyle and the habit and new name will tangible be reminders of them.

When someone is given a name (or names) at birth, it is usually a compliment to the holder of the name. Parents are usually saying that I hope that my son/daughter has some of the good qualities of the person who shares the same name. I was named after people on both sides of my family (my godfather - Jimmy Azar, my Uncle Bud [James] and from my grandfather I got my middle name [Norman]).

A Catholic takes a Confirmation name (I took the Apostle, St. James, the son of Zebedee). In this case, the saint is to be a model to imitate and as an intercessor to pray for you, the confirmandi - especially as you become a soldier for Christ (and we are engaged in warfare in this world - with eternal casualties and eternal victories)!

In the Religious Life a greater change takes place as someone dedicates their entire life to God, especially by living the Evangelical Counsels of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience. That requires a lot of grace and it is good to have friends in high places to intercede for you and to be a role model.

Of course, the name change does not change the person (no more than the clothing/habit does). As Shakespeare wrote (in Romeo and Juliet), "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". It is just another incarnational way to help the Religious (aspirant in my case) to strive to allow God to work more fully in his life, to die to self and live more for God.

So PRAY for me - that God's will will be done in my life!!

One of the good things about being a diocesan priest for the past 18+ years and going by Fr. "last name" (which most diocesan priests do) is that the change is only the first name... so Fr. Dean will still be appropriate (or Fr. "newname").

(I will find out my new name on Monday evening!)

No comments:

Post a Comment